Category: General


How do I get a copy of a police report or a traffic collision report?
Most police and collision reports can be purchased, but not all of them can be released. Report copies cost $10 for the first 10 pages or fewer of the report. If there are photos included in the report, the cost is $2 per photo. You can come into the station at One Hamilton (across from Hauke Park) on weekdays between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Or, you can mail your payment to MVPD, One Hamilton Dr, Mill Valley, CA 94941, Attn: Records Dept. Be sure to include your case number with your payment and request.

Should I call the police if I see something “suspicious” or unusual?
Yes! The police need your help in recognizing when something is wrong. The police rely on the community to act as their “eyes and ears” and to report dangerous, suspicious and illegal activities. Call 911 if the incident is in progress, call 389-4100 if you want to make a report after the fact, and call 721-4547 to leave information anonymously regarding a crime. IF YOU SEE IT, HEAR IT, KNOW IT – PLEASE, REPORT IT!

Does Mill Valley have a curfew law?
Yes, children under the age of 18, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian, need to be off the streets between the hours of 11:00 pm and sunrise.Dog being walked

Is it okay for my dog to be off-leash?
Mill Valley has a leash law that requires all dogs to be on-leash when on public streets, parks and sidewalks. You can be fined for not having your dog on-leash. If your dog is off-leash and picked up by a patrol officer or an animal control officer, it will be taken to the Marin County Humane Society (883-4621).

I don’t think I deserve this parking ticket. What can I do?
You can request an administrative review to contest the ticket. You can fill out and mail or take the Online Administrative Review Form to the police station, or pick up one at the station. In lieu of the form, you can write your own letter. Include the citation number, your vehicle license number, the date of the citation and your statement as to the reason you don’t feel the ticket is justified. Mail the letter or form to the Marin Parking Authority (the address is on the citation). The review form or letter must be submitted no more than 21 days from the date of the ticket. Your letter or form will be reviewed within 30-45 days from receipt.

My car has commercial plates and I parked in a yellow zone. Why did I get a ticket?
Having commercial plates does not automatically entitle you to park in a yellow zone. Mill Valley municipal code specifies that one must be actively involved in loading and/or unloading for commercial purposes to legally park in a yellow zone. There are specific times each day that anyone can legally park in a yellow zone: Monday – Friday after 4:00 pm, Saturday after noon, and Sunday all day.

I work downtown and want an employee parking permit. How do I get one?
The Chamber of Commerce (388-9700 / 85 Throckmorton Avenue) issues employee parking permits. The cost is $60 and they are valid for six months. There are four designated employee parking areas in Mill Valley.

How do I get a ticket signed-off?
If you have a “fix it” ticket (for registration, equipment, etc.) you can come into the station to have the proof of correction signed. Or, a patrol officer or an employee of Traffic court can also sign-off on the ticket. Only the Traffic Court at the Civic Center is able to sign-off a proof of insurance ticket.
Where do I get a residential parking permit?
Contact the Public Works Department at City Hall (388-4033 / 26 Corte Madera Ave).

Are leaf blowers allowed in Mill Valley?
Municipal Code states it is unlawful for any person to operate a gas-powered device to blow leaves, dirt, or other debris off sidewalks, driveways, lawns, or other surfaces within any area of Mill Valley.

I live in Mill Valley and called the Police Department. Why was I told to call the Sheriff’s Department instead?
Mill Valley has two jurisdictions: The city limits are serviced by the Police Department and the Sheriff’s Department services the unincorporated areas. If your street signs are brown with white lettering, you are within the city limits. If your street signs are blue with white lettering, you are in the unincorporated area.

Why was my real estate sign taken from the house for sale?
Signs advertising services, garage sales, homes for sale or rent are not allowed on public property, streets or utility poles. Signs placed on utility poles will be taken down and destroyed. Real estate signs will be stored at the police station and can be retrieved by the listing agent. There is a $10 fee per location.
Are there certain hours that construction crews are allowed to work?
Yes, construction work can be done Monday – Friday from the hours of 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. Heavy equipment and power tools are restricted to weekdays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. On Saturday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, a homeowner, not a construction crew, can do work. No construction work is allowed on Sunday and holidays.

Is Mill Valley a safe place to live? What kind of crime happens here?
Overall Mill Valley is a very safe place to live. Property crimes (burglary, theft, fraud, vandalism, etc.), not violent crimes, make up most of the cases filed with the Police Department. To view crime statistics online you can go to the Office of the Attorney General web site. If you are interested in motor vehicle collision information and statistics, you can access the SWITRS Annual Report at the California Highway Patrol web site.

I received a traffic citation. How do I find out the bail amount to pay?
You can find out the amount due for traffic fines on the Marin County Traffic Infraction Penalty Fixed Schedule. The Vehicle Code(s) listed on the traffic citation will correspond to the imposed fees.
Are you moving to or from Mill Valley?
Depending on the area in which you live, you may need an encroachment permit. Call City Hall at 388-4033 for more information.

I have a sign at my house stating “No Solicitors,” but they still come to my door. Should I call the police?
Any individual who solicits door to door for a business is required to obtain a solicitor’s permit and a business license from City Hall. It is unlawful for solicitors to contact a resident that has signage that prohibits solicitation or canvassing. When a solicitor comes to your door, you may ask to see a permit. If the solicitor does not have a permit, or refuses to show it to you or causes any problems, please call the Police at 389-4100.